What To Do When You Have Too Much To Do.
Jun 15, 2016
Does your to do list ever overwhelm you?
Do you ever become frozen and unable to move forward because you don't know where to start?
I do. If you've read any of my other blogs or kept up with me on Facebook, you know that I address this subject quite often because many times, I am fightling to not be a victim of overwhelm.
I tend to be an analyzer and over thinker. This can present a problem when there are many things to get done. It is also an advantage when you learn how to push through and put some skills to use.
What is overwhelming you today? Your job? A special project? A list of things at home that need doing? Children that need something? Caring for a friend or a parent? Your responsibilities at church or community group? All of the above?
There are many things the pull on us for our attention and if we are not careful and somewhat skillful, we can drown in a sea of busy without ever getting anything done.
So what do you do when you have too much to do? Here are some suggestions:
1. Make a list. Write down, in no particular order, EVERYTHING that needs your attention. Open up your brain and dump it out. All of it.
2. Prioritize. Number each item in order of importance and urgency. If it is urgent and requires immediate attention, put a 1 beside it. If it needs attention soon, let's say in the next several days, give it a 2 and if it is on your list, needs attention, but can wait, give it a 3.
3. Group them by number. Put all of the 1's together, then 2's, then 3's.
4. If there is anything that you can delegate, do so. Either hire it out or hand it off. Let it go and let someone else do it. Caution: this is where you find out if you have any control issues. ;-)
5. Prioritize your 1's. Tackle the most urgent first and then move on.
6. Revise your list each evening. Cross of completed items each day. (The crossing off will give you a sense of accomplishment.)
7. Do the next thing. If you find yourself unable to move on, frozen in your tracks, just do the next thing. Do something. Movement gives way to more movement and after a while, creates results.
Good luck and don't just get busy - be productive!
Encouraging and helping YOU live YOUR life! Click HERE to like us on Facebook!